Here’s my most recent resumé:
I am a User Experience Designer looking for a team to produce best-of-class experiences. My key capabilities:
- Visualizing Interfaces from Requirements
- Leading User Experience and Multidisciplinary Teams
- Wireframing and Prototyping
- Information and Interaction Design
- Usability Testing
- User Interface Design
- Heuristic Evaluation and Redesign
David Drucker User Interface Consulting
User Experience Architect
Successful consulting practice helping startups, private companies and government to define or improve products and services. Examples:
- Flight Level Media: Created wireframes and collaborated with a graphic designer for the design of an application currently in use in-flight that allows Lufthansa passengers to send an electronic postcard or order a printed postcard with their message right from their seat. The application runs on any model tablet or phone with a browser and is in use throughout Lufthansa routes and engaged by millions of passengers.
- Summify: Defined UI for users to read and manage collaborative filtering news service. Company purchased by Twitter.com
- Crowdmuscle Research: Translated business requirements into complete product UI, product successfully deployed in October 2011
- Nicola Wealth Management: In collaboration with staff and partners, researched and defined ways to improve communication and follow-through on customer service, produced wireframes, high-fidelity prototypes and defined requirements for a Financial Planner Dashboard combining each client’s financial data with CRM functions. The company manages over $2-billion in assets and has a near-perfect client retention rate
- Blue Ring Software: Refactored and improved the user interface for iPhone comparison shopping and barcode scanning app, PricePad. A review by iPhoneFootprint cited the app as a “must-buy”
Two Tall Totems
Senior User Experience Designer
Mobile application and web development company. Designed, documented and presented wireframes and user-flows as part of a 3 person design team. Projects ranged from an Internet-enabled boat GPS, theft prevention and weather device (for Sierra Wireless), a holiday-themed customizable virtual reality app, to an iPhone and iPad app for a gold mine (Integra Gold) that lets users take virtual tours. All shipped on time and on budget with polished user interfaces.
Emily Carr University
Taught Interaction Design: Principles and 4D Core Design Studio for 2nd and 3rd-year students.
University of British Columbia, British Columbia Institute of Technology
Created curriculum and teach classes Mobile Content Design and Strategy at UBC and Designing the Mobile User Experience for BCIT. Students with little UI experience produced final projects including designs for potential Apps for smartphones and tablets. Curriculum incorporated:
- User-centered Design process Fundamentals
- User research and requirements collection
- Persona development
- Information architecture
- Design Tools and deliverables for UI Professionals
- Usability Testing
IBM – Pacific Development Centre
Information Architect (Extended Contract)
- Worked on 160-member team tasked with creating Panorama, BC Public Health Surveillance System deployed to Health Service in fall of 2007
- Based on information from Business Analysts, delivered detailed wireframes to developers.
- Identified, documented and promoted reusable interface design patterns that increased product consistency and accelerated user interface development.
- PDC cited by IBM as one of its most successful regional offices worldwide during that period.
Information Architect/User Interface Designer/Project Manager
Custom software company supplying technology infrastructure to Webnames.ca as well as external clients including Cintas.com
- Project manager for multidisciplinary Presentation Layer Group
- Ran usability testing for Webnames.ca Website. Increased sales by significantly reducing the number of abandoned domain registration transactions
- Gathered business requirements, created an information architecture, designed wireframes and ran projects for local and international clients on multiple delivery schedules
- Initiated use of mobile Web solutions for Palm and Blackberry smartphones
Fidelity Investments, Inc.
User Interface Designer
Following the company’s visual style and UI standards, collaborated with key stakeholders, graphic designers, writers and content experts to produce the user interface design for 2 key products, Retirement Income Planner and Equity Research. Created HTML-based clickable prototypes, worked with Usability Labs to test with target customers, and worked with developers to refine the final products:
- Retirement Income Planner: an industry-acclaimed application that helps customers plan their retirement financial decisions. Product rated by Money Magazine as best of class and is still in use. Revenues from new Retirement Investments due primarily to online business contributed to a 20% profit increase in 2006 (Boston Globe).
- Equity Research: a set of online resources to help investors find, evaluate and monitor their stock purchases, as well as better understand the dynamics and risks and/or rewards of investing. Product received a 4-star rating by Barons, March 2005
Infinity Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
User Interface Architect
Drug Discovery Company incorporating synthetic chemistry along with high-throughput testing of compounds.
Created, produced and ran user testing of the user interfaces for five software tools serving scientists and company management. Software increased the accuracy of tracking of all projects, enabled self-service of complex mathematical calculations to create virtual chemical libraries, and made possible the high-throughput screening of millions of compounds in assays covering anti-bacterial, cancer therapy, insulin signalling, and other targets.
- Designed and produced UI for scientific and business applications including Library Designer for virtual compound enumeration and Discovery Analyzer for assay management and Results Analysis
- Collaborated with informaticians, scientists, and software developers to design
software UI from requirements of each set of laboratory tasks
- Created prototype screen layouts, descriptions of interface details, HTML-based demonstrations of UI for functional specifications, and authored a standard style guide for future application development
- Ran Usability testing for the Software Development Team to learn and corroborate findings on the usability of designs
Frictionless Commerce, Inc.
User Interface Architect
Provides Web-based e-Sourcing software for purchasing departments of Fortune 100 companies. Purchased by SAP in 2006
Designed User Interface for Frictionless Sourcing, a Web-based application for corporate purchasing activities. The product has been sold to several Fortune 100 companies, including John Hancock, Philip Morris, and British Airways resulting in revenues of over $3 Million. AMR cited user interface as ‘…best in the industry’, and end-users reported that the application was intuitive and understandable with minimal training.
- Defined overall look-and-feel for all of the company’s software products maximized for greatest usability
- Worked with product management to translate product requirements into new user interfaces
- Prepared and presented flow-charts of product screens, prototype screen layouts, descriptions of interface details, HTML-based prototypes and presentations of product UI to Software Development, Marketing, Training, and Technical Documentation teams, and provided Quality Assurance that final production UI was built according to specifications.
Vice President of Product Content and Design
The web’s foremost Computer Help Portal, the company transitioned to providing a business tool for companies organizing, tracking and delivering computer-based self-help content and training to users in corporate networks.
Led a team of editors and other managers in moving product from a consumer offering to a Corporate Intranet Help Desk. The product was positioned and subsequently sold to PCSupport of Vancouver, BC.
- Managed a team of 7-10 editors, web developers and others in the production and design of the website
- As part of the management team, refined and re-defined the company’s product to transition it from a consumer website to a corporate Computer Support Portal
- Created prototypes of the new product, FirstHelp and worked with PR firms to define the new corporate brand
The Kendall Group
1998 – 2002
My own consulting company, offering software usability and development services for companies of all sizes and business sectors.
Produced strategic reports, simulations, prototypes, presentations, training and sales materials for a variety of clients, including Apple Computer, Aquent, Channelwave, CIBA-Geigy, Curl Corporation, Lotus, PictureTel, Sun Microsystems, The Harvard Business School, The New England Journal of Medicine, The US Coast Guard, and many others. Worked with clients to create and improve websites, design, prototype and launch new products, and ensure that new technologies and products were usable by end-users.
Master of Philosophy, Cambridge University, Clare Hall,
Bachelor of Musical Arts, University of Cincinnati College
Conservatory of Music, Cincinnati, Ohio
Cool Mac Stacks and The QuickTime Handbook, published by Hayden Books, a division of Prentice Hall Computer Publishing
Contributed Op-Ed ‘Dems in Control? We’re Staying in Canada’ to the LA Times, published on November 25, 2006
Part-Time Music Critic for The Georgia Straight in 2006
Five Bagatelles for Flute and Piano published by Zalo Press
Note: Contact information is in both of these documents, or click here for a contact form.