Here’s my most recent resumé:
I am a Senior User Experience (UX) Designer seeking a team to produce effortless customer experiences. My passion has always to strive to create usable and beautiful products and services. I’ve taught the discipline of User Experience at several colleges, and have written 2 books on information technology.
My key capabilities and approximate years of experience in each include:
- Visualizing Interfaces from Requirements – 20 years
- Creating UX Deliverables from Research Findings (see below):
- Customer Journey Maps/Journeymapping – 5 years
- Personas, UX Use Cases – 10 years
- Wireframing and Prototyping – 20 years
- Usability Testing – 10 years
- Leading User Experience and Multidisciplinary/Agile Teams – 10 years
- Information and Interaction Design – 20 years
- User Interface Design, Heuristic Evaluation and Redesign – 20 years
- Communicating design concepts to a variety of consumers, from designers, to project
- stakeholders to software engineers. – 20 years
David Drucker User Interface Consulting
Vancouver, British Columbia, January 2008 – Present
Title: User Experience Consultant
Successful consulting practice helping start-ups, private companies and government to create new products and services.
TTT Studios (Previously known as Two Tall Totems)
Vancouver, British Columbia, November 2016
Title: Senior User Experience Designer
Canada’s Top Mobile App Developer, as recognized by Clutch.co. Managed and contributed wireframes, designs, user flows and other graphic elements to agile development teams. Designed, documented and presented wireframes and user flows.
Projects ranged from:
- Argus IOT, an internet-enabled boat GPS, theft prevention and weather device for Sierra Wireless, Inc.
- A holiday-themed, customizable virtual reality app (a marketing initiative)
- Integra Gold, an iOS app for a Mining company that enables users to take virtual tours, interact with company representatives, and stay up-to-date on the company’s progress in their La Val ‘Dor gold mine. All projects shipped on time and on budget with polished user interfaces.
University of British Columbia, Emily Carr University of Art and Design, Langara College, and Capilano University
Vancouver, British Columbia September 2010 – June 2017
Title: Professor of Interaction Design
Created curriculum and taught course Mobile Content Design and Strategy at UBC from 2010 to 2013. Industry Expert and Sessional Faculty for Emily Carr University Interaction Design program from 2011-2015. Taught Core Curriculum to 2nd, 3rd and 4th year students. Program of studies incorporated:
- User-centered Design Process Fundamentals
- Design Tools and deliverables for UX Professionals
- Information Architecture
- Persona Research and Writing
- User research and requirements collection
- Customer Journey Mapping/Journeymapping
- Usability Testing
Created the course Principles of Interaction Design, now required in Emily Carr’s Interaction Design Degree Program.
In 2017, taught two sections of the course Advanced User Experience Design at Langara College and Digital Media II at Capilano University.
IBM, Pacific Development Centre
Burnaby, British Columbia March 2007 – February 2008
Title: Information Architect
Worked on 160-member team tasked with creating Panorama, BC Public Health Surveillance System, deployed to Health Service in fall of 2007. Panorama is now in use by several Canadian Provinces and considered a major advance in Health Information Technology.
- Collaborating closely with Business Analysts, produced detailed wireframes for 20+ application developers.
- Identified, documented and promoted reusable interface design patterns that increased product consistency and
- accelerated user interface development.
Vancouver, British Columbia September 2006 – February 2007
Title: Information Architect/User Interface Designer/Project Manager
Custom software company supplying technology infrastructure to Webnames.ca as well as Cintas and others.
- Managed multidisciplinary Presentation Layer Project Group including 2 programmers and a graphic designer.
- Ran usability testing for Webnames.ca Website. Increased sales by 15% by significantly reducing number of abandoned domain registration transactions
- Gathered business requirements, created information architecture, designed wireframes and managed projects for clients in Vancouver, the Sunshine Coast and Anguilla.
Fidelity Investments, Inc.
Boston, Massachusetts February 2003 – July 2005
Title: User Interface Designer
- Managed team of user interface designers, graphic designers and writers through iterative development process for each product.
- Incorporated feedback from usability lab testing to refine designs.
- Retirement Income Planner rated by Money Magazine as ‘best of class’ in financial planning tools in 2004
- Revenues from new investments made primarily from use of Retirement Income Planner contributed to 20% increase in profit in 2005 (Boston Globe)
- Equity Research received 4-star rating by Barons (March 2005)
Worked with key stakeholders and subject matter experts to produce user interface designs for Fidelity’s Retirement Income Planner and Equity Research web-based tools.
Infinity Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Cambridge, Massachusetts April 2002 – January 2003
Title: User Interface Architect
Drug Discovery company combining synthetically modelled chemistry with high-throughput testing of compounds.
- Created user interfaces for software tools for scientists and management
- Collaborated with informaticians, scientists, and software developers to design user interfaces for Library Designer for virtual compound enumeration and Discovery Analyzer for bulk assay management and results analysis.
- Authored user interface style guide for future application development.
- Ran usability testing for all in-house software.
Cambridge, Massachusetts March 2001 – October 2002
Title: User Interface Architect
Web-based eSourcing software for Fortune 100 companies, purchased by SAP in 2006. AMR Research cited Frictionless Sourcing as ‘the best e-sourcing user interface and portal functionality in the market’ (Feb 8, 2002)
- Defined look and feel of all products.
- Translated business requirements from product management to user interface designs and clickable prototypes
- Trained and supervised team of user interface designers
- Provided screen flows and presented user interface to other departments including Marketing,
- Documentation and Training.
- Performed quality assurance of final user interface.
Norwood, Massachusetts March 2000 – August 2001
Title: Vice President of Products
The Internet’s foremost Computer Help Portal. Repositioned to provide business tools for organizing, tracking and delivering computer-based self-help content and training to users in the enterprise. Acquired by PC Support of Vancouver, BC in 2002.
- Managed editors and web developers in design and production of web portal
- Helped redefine company’s offering to transition from consumer web portal to B2B product
- Worked with PR to define branding of corporate product, FirstHelp and created its design prototypes
Master of Philosophy in Music Composition, Clare Hall, Cambridge University, 1984
Bachelor of Musical Arts, University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music, 1982
- Adobe XD
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Microsoft, Apple and Google business suites
Executive Director, Boston Computer Society Macintosh Group, 1993-1995
Board Member, Boston Computer Society 1995-1996 and The Walden School 1999-2003
The QuickTime Handbook (co-authored with Michael Murie), Hayden Books, 1992
Cool Mac Stacks, Hayden Books, 1992
Op Ed ‘Dems in Control? We’re Staying in Canada‘ for the Los Angeles Times, published November 25, 2006
Classical Music Critic for The Georgia Straight in 2006
MusicFive Bagatelles for Flute and Piano published by Zalo Press
Note: Contact information is in both of these documents, or click here for a contact form.